PMCHY

PMCHY
The Dragging Equipment Detector at State Line, KY

Saturday, December 12, 2020

Construction Update #17 - State Line Kentcky Part 4 - Static Grass & Marshlands

Static Grass


As I mentioned in my last update, YouTube is a invaluable resource when it comes to creating realistic scenery.  I studied up on applying Static Grass and here is the result of the initial application near State Line.  This initial application consists mostly 2mm or 2.5mm static grass.  I will follow this up with several more levels to include areas of 6-7mm and some 12mm.  One of the things I discovered early on was the need to mix various shades of green and even some yellow.  I also decided to start with lighter shorter colors and layer on longer and darker colors.
 

Marshlands


One of the things I wanted to include in this scene was marshland.  Again, I found a couple of videos on creating "swamps" on YouTube which helped.  The major difference between a swamp and marshland is the lack of trees in the latter.  I started by sketching out the water features on a piece of paper and then transferred them to the layout.  Then I used my Dremel tool to carve out the proposed waterways.


I painted the exposed pink foam with my earth colored base coat and then applied the initial layer of pavers sand ground cover.

 
An overall view of the same area after an application of 2,4 & some 7mm static grass using four different colors.  I used Modge Podge, thinned 1/1 with water for the initial layer of static grass.  I spread this around with a 1" paint brush.  For additional layers, I applied on a 1/4 mixture with a spray bottle and then applied the static grass.  The foliage material along the riverbank is Heki "Wildgrass" covered with Scenic Express Super Leaf material.  I looked up "Kentucky Wildfolowers" on Google to find out what color of flowers bloomed in late summer.  Turned out there were about 8-10, mostly yellow or violet.  I used a little Scenic Express violet flower material for a finishing touch along the riverbank.  I am still waiting for some 12mm static grass, cattail, and lily pads to finish up the marshland; and of course, more trees and shrubs.

Here is where the foreground river meets the backdrop.  So far, so good. 

Overview of progress to date.

CSX #5511 leads a westbound freight between State Line and Bowling Green



No comments:

Post a Comment